Seeds for the Future
About the Programme
Each year Huawei recruits 50 STEM undergraduates from leading universities across the UK to participate in an all-expenses paid, four-week trip to China featuring cultural, technical and business training.
During the programme students will spend an initial period in Beijing where they will receive Mandarin training from one of the best universities in Beijing and learn about Chinese culture. There will also be group tours of cultural sites such as the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, the Great Wall of China and the 2008 Olympic Park. Visits will also be made to a number of Chinese and western tech companies operating in Beijing.
Students will then be flown to Shenzhen, Guangdong Province, where they will learn about Huawei’s international business culture and values and spend time learning about Huawei’s products and solutions. There will also be visits to Huawei’s F1 Exhibition Centre; Enterprise Exhibition Hall; Logistics Centre; R&D labs and one of Huawei’s state-of-the- art factory facilities. At Huawei HQ students will also receive technical training from some of the finest professionals in the industry.
Since 2011 we have provided over 280 UK undergraduates with the opportunity to learn about China and to experience working in Huawei’s dynamic global business HQ – an invaluable addition to any CV when looking for a job after graduation.
Watch the video from our Class of 2019 as they reflect on their experiences of the programme. Huawei will be accepting applications for the 2019 Seeds for the Future Programme before the closing date of 31st January 2020.
What do you need to be considered?
- be a UK passport holder
- be studying a STEM or related discipline at a UK university
- be an undergraduate student
- submit an essay of no more than 500 words demonstrating an interest in China and in Huawei and your suitability for the programme
- demonstrate excellent academic acumen
- have a strong interest in telecoms and technology issues
- ideally have some knowledge of Mandarin or interest in learning the language
To apply please send your CV and supporting essay to Philip Candice, Director of Public Policy at the following address: email@example.com
Applications to be received by the closing date of 31st January 2020.
- Only applications received before the closing date of 31st January 2020 will be considered.
- It is preferred (but not essential) that initial short-listing of candidates be undertaken by each participating university.
- Final interview selection will be undertaken by Huawei UK (Spring 2019) whose decision is final.
- This is a non-salaried programme and participation in the programme does not imply that future employment will be offered by Huawei upon graduation, or any time in the future.
- Huawei will cover all visa application costs and all travel and accommodation costs in China. In addition Huawei will provide an allowance per student for sundry living expenses in China.
“I have learned so much about China, technology, Huawei, business and the amazing Chinese culture. It has been a fascinating experience and I am forever grateful.”
University of Durham
2019 Seeds programme
“The lessons, activities, visits and tours have all been incredible and have definitely made this summer one I won’t forget. I’ve learned so much about Huawei, China and myself this month that I never expected to.”
University of Birmingham
2019 Seeds programme
“I can honestly say it is one of the best things I’ve ever done. I learnt a huge amount and have returned with a very positive view of China, Huawei and all the extraordinary businesses and entrepreneurs we met.”
University of Bristol
2019 Seeds Programme