Huawei's 5G MEC Solution Wins Wireless Innovation Award at the WCA Ceremony
[London, UK, November 13, 2019] Huawei's 5G MEC solution won the Wireless Innovation Award at the 21st World Communication Award Ceremony held in London by Total Telecom, a world-renowned international telecommunications media company. The award reflects the industry's recognition of Huawei's 5G MEC solution in technical innovation, business, and ecosystem construction.
Huawei's 5G MEC solution winning the Wireless Innovation Award at the WCA ceremony
Multi-access Edge Computing (MEC) is a key technology used in 5G. It deploys applications, content, and some service processing and resource scheduling functions of the MBB core network to the edge, close to end users, delivering an optimal and reliable service experience. MEC has become a powerful tool for digital transformation in the telecommunications industry.
Huawei's 5G MEC solution is based on "connectivity + computing". It uses innovative technologies such as Cloud Native, intelligent connection, and heterogeneous computing to dynamically allocate and adjust network resources. The high performance heterogeneous hardware uses a Huawei-developed Kunpeng processor and a switching-free architecture. It integrates accelerators such as the GPU, NP, and AI to achieve higher performance, increased integration, and lower power consumption. The open MEC platform integrates multi-industry applications and code-free CT services, implementing one-stop integration. One box replaces one network to accelerate service rollout and provide application-centric, network-wide deterministic assurance of subscriber experience.
Huawei has cooperated with carriers and partners to successfully pilot and release a series of solutions for commercial use with the help of this leading 5G MEC solution, including:
- Established the 5G deterministic network industry alliance. The alliance has successfully piloted and commercialized MEC applications in multiple industries. These include, industrial manufacturing, ports, 5G+cultural tourism, education, medical care, energy, Internet of Vehicles (IoV), and multimedia.
- Worked with China Mobile, Zhenhua Port Machinery Company (ZPMC), and Vodafone to jointly release the 5G Smart Port White Paper.
- Worked with China Mobile, Haier, and HangZhou Mstar to jointly launch the world's first 5G+ machine vision smart factory.
- Worked with China Mobile and CAS-Visual-Dimension to jointly commercialize the AR real-time interactive service - Wonderland of Mountains and Rivers at the Beijing Expo.
- Teamed up with industry partners to win four first prizes at the second Zhan Fang cup 5G application contest. This has allowed them to continuously promote the rapid development of the 5G industry.
Huawei will continue to increase investment and innovation, enhance the Huawei's MEC solution through the combination of technologies and practices, and become the top partner for carriers building MEC. Huawei will work with industry partners to take full advantage of the opportunities 5G offers, promoting cross-industry application innovation, and facilitating a large variety of industries.