Huawei focuses on three domains – fully-connected networks, intelligent computing, and device innovation – and continues to invest in products, technologies, basic research, engineering capability improvement, technical standards, and industry ecosystems. We aim to support customers in their digital transformation and lay the cornerstone of an intelligent world.
We are committed to translating leading technologies into better and more competitive products and solutions that help our customers succeed.
In the wireless network domain, we:
- Launched an end-to-end 5G solution, including commercial products of wireless networks, transport networks, core networks, and customer premise equipment (CPE).
- Joined forces with carriers and mainstream device chipset vendors to complete the interoperability development testing (IODT).
Huawei introduces its 5G target network architecture at the 2017 Global Mobile Broadband Forum. Built on three elements, this architecture will help carriers address their three major pain points and roll out a mobile network tailored to the 2020s that can deliver a wide array of services. We will work hand-in-hand with our partners to facilitate the growth of the mobile industry and achieve our vision of Everyone on Mobile, Everything with Wireless, and Every Industry plus Wireless.
- Assisted carriers in deploying 5G precommercial systems in several major cities.
- Continued our evolution efforts in LTE to build an all-business connected LTE network that is focused on experience, and drove continuous progress in WTTx, Narrowband Internet of Things (NB-IoT), and connected vehicle.
- Launched solutions such as RuralStar and TubeStar for emerging markets to help reduce customers’ total cost of ownership (TCO) and increase their return on investment.
- Worked with partners to deliver innovative wireless solutions mainly for businesses from the public safety, electricity, and transportation sectors, allowing us to seize opportunities arising from industry digitization.
- Built three basic capabilities that are fundamental to future wireless networks – SingleRAN Pro, Mobile Cloud, and Wireless AI – to help carriers roll out multiservice integrated networks.
- SingleRAN Pro helps with the deployment of ultra-simplified ¡°1+1¡± target sites and will address capacity, coverage, and latency requirements for developing various services.
- Mobile Cloud offers an agile and flexible network architecture to boost efficiency in connecting services.
- Wireless AI helps build up intelligent network management abilities with the use of artificial intelligence (AI) technologies, thereby enabling highly efficient network operations & maintenance (O&M) and delivering a better experience across services.
- Joined forces with carriers and partners to research and explore new solutions and use cases by implementing three initiatives in this domain, namely Mobile Innovation Centers (MICs), TechCity, and Wireless X Labs.
In the carrier and enterprise network domain, we:
- Unveiled the Intent-Driven Network Solution. Based on a business-driven and user-focused network transformation philosophy, this network incorporates intelligence, simplicity, ultra-broadband, security, and openness, helping carriers and businesses all over the world go digital.
- Used cloudification, big data, and AI technologies to launch the innovative Network Cloud Engine framework composed of the Intent Engine, Automation Engine, Analytics Engine, and Intelligence Engine. The framework will help carriers build automation and intelligence in their Intent-Driven Networks.
- Launched the 5G-ready mobile transport solution X-Haul, a 50GE/100GE adaptive network slicing router, and a 5G microwave solution that supports 5G transport networks. These solutions will help evolve live networks into 5G transport networks from end to end, supporting a large capacity, multiple services, and low latency.
- Released the virtual Broadband Remote Access Server (vBRAS), a cloudification solution that supports cloud access by 10 million users.
- Unveiled a 4T router line card and opened up the possibility of commercial use for 400GE single ports of routers.
- Released the 1T optical transmission network (OTN) cluster solution.
- Upgraded our Cloud Fabric data center (DC) solution and launched the FusionInsight platform for intelligent analysis.
- Unveiled our CloudCampus solution, which will enable integrated access to the cloud-based campus network via Wi-Fi and the Internet of Things (IoT).
- Launched the SD-WAN solution.
In software, we focus on building a cloud-based, service-oriented, and open software platform for carrier operations to continue improving development, integration, and engineering delivery efficiency, and support extensive service delivery. Our achievements include the following:
- Our Convergent Billing Solution (CBS) features large-capacity, high-concurrency convergent billing, and addresses the need for IoT transformation.
- Our Mobile Money solution provides a highly reliable and secure mobile payment platform to deliver inclusive financial services.
- We formulated our Value-Added Service (VAS) Transformation Program to facilitate the evolution of carrier networks toward LTE and network functions virtualization (NFV) and build digital VAS.
- We increased the competitiveness of our Infrastructure Enabling System (IES) by focusing on the cloud native core architecture.
- Our Single EMS (Element Management System) solution will help build a unified O&M platform.
In the cloud core network domain, we are committed to improving three core competencies – connection management, audio and video, and service-aware intelligent pipes. We also aspire to provide end-to-end connections and audio/video streams for different types of access networks, and enable applications at the top layer through control of a differentiated experience. In 2017, we:
- Launched a range of cloud services such as enterprise communications and IoT platforms.
- Began offering unified and open solutions for vertical industries, including connected vehicle and public utilities, with our unified OceanConnect IoT platform.
- Unveiled the new generation of the Huawei Envision solution, a hybrid video platform that will assist carriers in delivering a premium video experience.
- Released CloudIVS, a video surveillance cloud platform, serving as part of a cloud-based, intelligent, and connected video cloud solution.
- Successfully promoted the adoption of our Service-Based Architecture (SBA) as a key standard for 3GPP 5G core networks, and completed core network testing for 5G R&D trial under IMT-2020 (5G) Promotion Group.
In network energy, the concepts of digitization, networking, and intelligentization continue to inform our development directions of “using silicon instead of copper” and “using bits to manage watts”. We combine the use of power electronics, digital information, communications, and IoT technologies to continuously offer competitive products and solutions to our customers.
- Telecom energy: We offer the Smart Site Solution 2.0 to help customers achieve easy installation and lighten their site maintenance workload, thereby reducing their O&M costs.
- DC energy: We delivered a new generation of Smart Data Center Facility Solution, which can enable smart power supply, cooling controls, and DC service management.
- Smart photovoltaic (PV): We launched generation 5.0 of the FusionSolar Smart PV Solution and the FusionHome Smart Energy Solution, improving end-to-end efficiency of power generation and O&M.
In the IT sector, we are committed to bringing intelligent innovations to cloud DCs. We innovate in the AI, cloud computing, and big data domains together with our customers and partners. We also use innovative chip technologies and architectures to promote enterprise digitization and intelligent transformation.
In cloud computing, we continued to offer a series of solutions to help vertical industries migrate to the cloud. These solutions include the HUAWEI CLOUD FusionSphere Virtualization Solution, HUAWEI CLOUD FusionAccess Desktop Solution, and HUAWEI CLOUD FusionCloud Private Cloud Solution.
- FusionSphere once again scored first in the 2017 SPECvirt performance test.
- FusionAccess offers an intelligent work space on the cloud for customers through use of technologies such as smart connection, display, and protection.
- FusionCloud uses key technologies such as bare metal services and SAP HANA-certified 4 TB virtual machines to support traditional industries in migrating their core services to the cloud. FusionCloud's platform as a service (PaaS) container services support resource scaling of innovative applications within seconds. The solution is also based on the same architecture, application platform interfaces (APIs), and ecosystem as our public cloud services.
- Our FusionBridge Hybrid Cloud Solution integrates management and resources, and seamlessly connects private clouds to public clouds to deliver a consistent user experience.
In AI and big data, we debuted our Enterprise Intelligence (EI) platform and distributed services based on big data, database, and AI technologies, helping enterprises boost productivity through data innovation.
- In public safety, we created a “traffic brain” for the city of Shenzhen. The traffic brain intelligently manages traffic lights, improving traffic flow and increasing automated detection efficiency of traffic violations.
- In finance, our efforts in launching the integrated data warehouse platform have reduced the cost for capacity expansion of the data warehouse system and bolstered the performance of the core analytics function.
- Huawei uses AI technologies extensively throughout our own business operations, covering logistics, customer services, quality inspection, risk control, and other business scenarios.
In cloud storage, we continued to improve our storage as a service (STaaS) solution. The solution delivers a consistent on- and off-premise cloud experience and intelligent data and O&M management, and helps enterprises quickly migrate their storage services to the cloud.
In enterprise storage, we released our OceanStor Dorado V3, an all-flash storage system for companies¡' mission-critical services.
- The product delivers 4 million input/output operations per second (IOPS) at 0.5 ms consistent latency, maximizing performance of the flash.
- This system and our HyperMetro gateway-free active-active solution combine to ensure high availability of services and deliver mission-critical services in a fast and stable manner.
In the server domain, we introduced our Boundless Computing strategy, concentrating our efforts on facilitating industry digitization and intelligent transformation.
- In the general server unit domain, we released our latest generation of FusionServer series servers – the FusionServer V5. With smart features in computing, storage, networks, management, and energy efficiency at its core, the new server offers higher efficiency and will create more value in computing for customers and help them reduce their TCO.
- In AI, we unveiled an intelligent cloud hardware platform – Atlas – and G series heterogeneous servers. Riding on the advantages of key technologies, such as heterogeneous resource pooling and intelligent orchestration, our Atlas platform and G series servers deliver a higher hardware resource utilization.
- In cloud infrastructure and hardware acceleration, we launched our NVMe-powered ES3000 SSDs. This series of SSDs will help boost service efficiency through use of the big data technology and greatly accelerate the data analytics process.
In the cloud sector, we bring our strengths in software-hardware synergy into play to build open cloud platforms that customers can trust. We strive to deliver stable, reliable, secure, trusted, and evolvable cloud services for our customers.
In computing, we:
- Delivered new instances for five elastic cloud server (ECS) types and 12 sub-types.
- Launched the P100 and V100 GPUs and FPGA heterogeneous high-performance computing instances based on the Atlas server, and applied them in AI and gene sequencing.
- Launched dedicated resource solutions and services, including Huawei Dedicated Cloud (DeC) and Bare Metal Server (BMS), which will help companies migrate traditional services to the cloud.
In storage, we:
- Delivered a storage active-active disaster recovery service, with the performance of our shared volumes and cloud disks ranking first among industry vendors.
- Launched Object Storage Service (OBS) V3.0, which supports storage of data of any amount, in any form, and for any tenant at a minimum latency of 10 ms.
In the network domain, we:
- Unveiled Elastic Load Balance (ELB), which can process up to 100 million concurrent connections of Huawei device users to HUAWEI MyCloud.
- Worked with China Telecom, combining our expertise in the cloud and network synergy to debut our cloud-network integration product. The product will shorten the time required to connect a customer DC to a public cloud from several weeks to a few seconds.
In terms of migration of enterprise applications to the cloud and cloud application management, we launched 10 PaaS services, the microservice application platform ServiceStage, and the bare-metal container service Cloud Container Engine (CCE).
Huawei and its partners announce the launch of its virtual reality (VR) OpenLab industry cooperation plan. The plan’s objective is to facilitate development of and technological innovation in the cloud VR industry, incubate business scenarios, and build a complete cloud VR industry ecosystem.
In the database domain, we launched five cloud database services – HWSQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, DDS (MongoDB), and DRS.
In EI, we:
- Began delivering EI services to enable application in the connected vehicle and IoT sectors and help enterprises improve productivity and achieve greater success.
- Launched three major types of EI services – basic platform services, general AI services, and scenario-specific solutions. AI technologies such as video and image recognition and deep reinforcement learning have been used to optimize signals in real time, reconstruct high-definition images, and search for hundreds of billions of images in seconds.
In security, we started delivering security services featuring secure anti-DDoS protection, database security, host security, web application firewalls (WAFs), vulnerability scanning, and security checking to build a multi-dimensional defense system.
In the consumer business, we are dedicated to bringing innovative technologies in multimedia, AI, chipsets, and charging management to smartphones, PCs, and wearables, aiming to deliver a better experience to consumers.
In the smartphone domain, we unveiled the HUAWEI Mate 10 smartphone series. The new features and functionalities of this series include:
- The Kirin 970, an AI-powered chipset with a dedicated Neural Network Processing Unit (NPU), makes the Mate 10 phones intelligent devices that truly understand us.
- The Mate 10 AI-driven camera can intelligently identify different types of scenes and objects for photographing, and then automatically determine the best settings for target objects, so that every photo turns out beautifully.
- This series features a lens with an f/1.6 aperture for night photography. Combining autofocus on key objects with heterogeneous computing, Mate 10 phones can shoot pictures very quickly.
- The use of EasyTalk technology helps the Mate 10 series tone down background noises for users making calls in noisy settings.
- The Mate 10 series is powered by a high-density battery featuring the SuperCharge fast charging technology and a smart battery management system that maximizes battery life.
- The AI-driven EMUI 8.0 effectively minimizes Android lag and delivers smoother performance.
In the PC domain, we launched our MateBook X.
- The optimized structural design of the MateBook X display equips it with incredibly thin bezels and thus a higher screen-to-body ratio.
- The use of advanced heat dissipation materials and technologies enables it to efficiently dissipate heat without fans.
- We worked with Dolby to build a panoramic sound system into this device, delivering a great sound experience for consumers.
In the wearable domain, the HUAWEI WATCH 2 is an eSIM Android smart watch that supports connections to the 4G networks of China Mobile and China Unicom. This device incorporates a continuous heart rate monitoring algorithm and technology to help users enjoy healthy sleep and exercise.
We have made major advances in forward looking basic research and innovation. Our aim is to contribute to progress in the industry via breakthroughs in technology.
In network theory research, we:
- Built a mathematics model founded on our research of the queuing theory based on power law distributions, proving the relationship between wireless service types and service latency and throughput.
- Designed a probability network model based on the Markov chain to embrace the intelligent machine era with IoT at its core. Compared with the classical Poisson and power-law network models, the new model can reduce the discrepancy with real-world value.
- Proposed an intelligent slicing network prototype for DC scenarios, helping improve data analytics efficiency.
- Unveiled the application-driven and self-learning network architecture and prototype. This architecture ensures optimal experience for a wide array of services, increases network utilization, and lowers the memory cost of network measurement.
In network technology research, we:
- Released our X-Ethernet/FlexE technology to achieve deterministic low latency.
- Unveiled the distributed optical internet working P-Router prototype system.
In optical network research, we:
- Unveiled an innovative architecture for all optical networks based on optical wavelength cross-connect.
- Released the colorless wavelength division multiplexing (WDM) system.
We proactively invested in medium- and long-term research of advanced wireless technology to explore and verify new wireless technologies and
theories that will address the communications demands of different scenarios in the future.
We continued to innovate in and optimize the infrastructure architecture, software, and hardware of DCs, and designed the OneBrain architecture that supports heterogeneous computing, including multiple new computing approaches, for DCs, to embrace the intelligent world on the horizon.
We continued to invest in the research of next-generation media codec technologies, actively sought partnerships with industry players in audio and video processing, 3D, video intelligence, and other related domains, and drove progress in formulating the H.266 and AVS3.0 industry standards.
We invested ongoing efforts to make AI flourish through application. Specifically, we:
- Digitized site surveys and automated quality inspections with the use of computer vision technologies to improve the operating efficiency of the Global Technical Service Department (GTS) and reduce the time spent on manual network maintenance.
- Proactively explored ways to bring intelligence to devices and enterprises, making progress in achieving intelligent human-device interaction and building an intelligent supply chain for companies.
We work with excellent resources from around the world on innovation to advance ICT technological progress.
The following are some highlights from 2017:
- The Huawei Innovation Research Program (HIRP) sponsored several innovation and research projects, including research in technical domains such as wireless, networks, storage, and devices. HIRP received a Business Model Transformation Award at the World Open Innovation Conference (WOIC) 2017.
- We worked with mathematicians, physicists, and researchers of other domains from around the world on projects ranging from advanced wireless algorithms
to future network architectures, aspiring to address foundational issues and drive progress in the ICT industry with fundamental theories.
- We maintained collaboration with partners in areas such as cloud computing, data management, and AI, with a focus on the public cloud, intelligent networks, and intelligent O&M. As big data is extensively used in this environment, we aimed to address complicated issues such as low latency, high bandwidth, massive numbers of connections, and intelligent applications.