Huawei Thailand Receives Prestigious Prime Minister Award as Digital International Corporation of the Year
[Bangkok, Thailand, 9 March, 2021] Huawei Technologies (Thailand) Co., Ltd. has been chosen for the Special Prime Minister Award and recognized as “Digital International Corporation of the Year”. The award acknowledges Huawei Thailand for its valuable support and outstanding contributions to Thai society since its establishment in the country 21 years ago, as well as its efforts to support digital transformation. Huawei is the only international company to receive this award.
Mr. Abel Deng, CEO of Huawei Technologies (Thailand) Co., Ltd., accepted the award from HE General Prayut Chan-o-cha, Prime Minister of Thailand in the presence of Mr. Nuttapon Nimmanphatcharin, President/CEO of Digital Economy Promotion Agency (depa), during the award ceremony held at Government House.
Mr. Abel Deng, CEO of Huawei Technologies Thailand, proudly accepts the “PM Award: Digital International Corporation of the Year”, from HE General Prayut Chan-o-cha, Prime Minister of Thailand（1）
Mr. Abel Deng, CEO of Huawei Technologies Thailand, proudly accepts the “PM Award: Digital International Corporation of the Year”, from HE General Prayut Chan-o-cha, Prime Minister of Thailand（2）
The Prime Minister congratulated this year’s awardees. He commended the younger generation for being able to apply digital technology creatively and for leveraging innovation to create new businesses to move ahead together. He also added that the government believes the development of 5G and AI systems is important in driving Thailand forward and expressed hope that today's success will inspire university students to make use of digital technology to create business opportunities for the country in the future. In addition, the Prime Minister congratulated Huawei executives and asked them to continue the company’s mission to drive Thailand forward.
“The PM’s Digital Awards recognize organizations whose products and solutions help drive digital technology and innovation development. The criteria for the PM’s Special Award include excellence in development of digital technology that supports enterprises, services and the society; application of digital technology that fosters a better and more secure economy, society, and culture for Thais; investment that creates jobs in Thailand; and social and environmental developments that support local and international economies. Huawei received the highest scores from our distinguished committee,” said Mr. Nuttapon Nimmanphatcharin, President of Digital Economy Promotion Agency.
“Our collaboration with Huawei has been central to the country’s development, and crucial in terms of the technology used for emergency responses to unforeseen events such as natural disasters, security threats, health crises and others. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the company instantly applied the world’s leading technology called AI-assisted solutions and 5G technology to support the country’s medical working teams at government hospitals. Recently, Thailand’s first 5G Ecosystem Innovation Centre (5G EIC) was launched at depa’s office, thanks to a collaboration between the Digital Economy and Society Ministry, Digital Economy Promotion Agency (depa) and Huawei. Our partnership with Huawei and our ability to utilize 5G technology gives us an edge in enhancing our business competitiveness. I would like to congratulate the company on this achievement. We are grateful for Huawei’s goodwill and continuous efforts to help drive the digital economy in the country,” he added.
“It is an honor for me to accept the Prime Minister’s Award on behalf of Huawei Technologies,” said Mr. Abel Deng, CEO of Huawei Thailand, during the ceremony. “At Huawei, we value long-term partnership. We are committed to working closely with customers and partners to help keep Thailand at the forefront of the digital age. With the mission of 'Grow in Thailand, Contribute to Thailand’, Huawei reinforces its commitment to helping the country move forward to Thailand 4.0 and become a digital hub in the Asia Pacific region, and to ensuring that no one is left behind. We will bring digital to every person, home and organization, for a fully connected, and intelligent Thailand.”
This year’s award is another recognition of Huawei’s leadership in Thailand’s digital scene. The company’s successful initiatives across the country include:
For digital economy:
- Open Lab Bangkok: One-stop support to provide industry solutions for IoT, Big Data, and cloud computing, as well as a verification platform and ICT training services for customers and ICT industry entrepreneurs in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
- 5G EEC Testbed: Established the first 5G Test Bed in a real world-setting in Southeast Asia located in Kasetsart University, Sri Racha campus (Eastern Economic Corridor).
- Thailand 5G Ecosystem Innovation Center: Jointly established by Digital Economy Promotion Agency and the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society, the center serves as a sandbox for SMEs, startups, developers, and educational institutions to develop digital innovations for 5G applications and services, incubate local digital talents and upgrade digital skills.
For social advancement:
- AI-assisted solutions for government hospitals: AI-powered software provided to Ramathibodi and Siriraj Hospitals to help make COVID-19 diagnosis solutions faster and more efficient using 5G technology.
- Huawei Telemedicine Video Conference Solution for the Ministry of Public Health: Real-time and fully-functional teleconference system that can facilitate Thai medical staff and teams to carry out their duties without risk of infection; doctors can conduct remote online consultations; patients can be diagnosed, treated and monitored through their own smart devices.
- Unmanned vehicles using 5G: Contactless delivery of medical goods within the hospital to reduce infection risks of frontline workers.
For human capital development:
- Huawei ASEAN Academy: Partnering with local businesses, and technical and engineering schools to “produce 100,000 digital and tech-related workers within 5 years”
- 5G courses by global experts and chief scientists from Huawei: Topics such as 5G trends, commercial plans, 5G standards, use cases, business model ideas, etc. to promote multi-dimensional thinking
Huawei announced that more projects will be organized later this year to help Thailand strengthen its 5G ecosystem. In partnership with depa, Huawei will host the 5G Summit, 5G Industry Alliance and 5G Hackathon with an aim to incubate local tech talents. The two parties will also release a 5G Whitepaper to help guide the industry towards the next-generation economy.