Scope and Overview
Collection of Personal Information
- Personal contact details such as name, title, addresses, telephone numbers, and personal email addresses.
- Work history and other relevant experience including information contained in a resume, CV, cover letter, or job application.
- Education information including degrees awarded, transcripts, and other information provided in support of the job application.
- Compensation history.
- Information collected during phone screenings and interviews.
- Details regarding the type of employment sought, desired salary, willingness to relocate, job preferences, and other information related to compensation and benefits.
- Reference information and information received from background checks, where applicable, including information provided by third parties.
- Information related to previous applications to Huawei Canada or previous employment history with Huawei Canada.
Personal Information Use
We only use your personal information where applicable law permits or requires it in connection with carrying out our application and recruitment process. We may use your personal information for the following legitimate business purposes:
- Identifying and evaluating job applicants, including assessing skills, qualifications, and interests.
- Verifying your information and carrying out employment, background, and reference checks, where applicable, subject to your consent where required by applicable law.
- Communicating with you about the recruitment process and your application.
- Keeping records related to our hiring processes.
- Creating and submitting reports as required by applicable laws or regulations.
- To comply with our legal, regulatory, or other corporate governance requirements.
- Analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process.
- Complying with applicable laws, regulations, legal processes, or enforceable government requests.
- To protect the rights and property of Huawei Canada, other job applicants, employees, or the public, as required or permitted by law.
In addition to using your personal information for the position for which you have applied, we may retain and use your personal information to inform you about other positions and to assess your continued or future candidacy for opportunities with Huawei Canada.
We will only use your personal information for the purposes we collected it for. If we need to use your personal information for an unrelated purpose, we will provide notice to you and, if required by law, seek your consent. We may use your personal information without your knowledge or consent where required by applicable law or regulation.
You will not be subject to hiring decisions based solely on automated data processing without your prior consent.
We will only disclose your personal information to third parties where required by law or to our employees, contractors, designated agents, or third-party service providers who require it to assist us with administering the recruitment process, including third-party service providers who provide services to us or on our behalf. We may use third-party service providers for various purposes, including, but not limited to, obtaining employment verification and background checks. These third-party service providers may be located outside of Canada.
We require all our third-party service providers, by written contract, to implement appropriate security measures to protect your personal information consistent with our policies and any data security obligations applicable to us. We do not permit our third-party service providers to use your personal information for their own purposes. We only permit them to use your personal information for specified purposes in accordance with our instructions.
We may also disclose your personal information for the following additional purposes where permitted or required by applicable law:
- As part of our regular reporting activities to other members of our group of companies.
- To comply with legal obligations or valid legal processes such as search warrants, subpoenas, or court orders. When we disclose your personal information to comply with a legal obligation or legal process, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that we only disclose the minimum personal information necessary for the specific purpose and circumstances.
- During emergency situations or where necessary to protect the safety of persons.
- Where the personal information is publicly available.
- If a business transfer or change in ownership occurs.
- For additional purposes with your consent where such consent is required by law.
Cross-Border Data Transfers
The measures that we use to protect personal information are subject to the legal requirements of the jurisdictions to which we transfer personal information, including lawful requirements to disclose information to law enforcement and government agencies in those countries.
We have implemented appropriate physical, technical, and organizational security measures designed to secure your personal information against accidental loss and unauthorized access, use, alteration, or disclosure. In addition, we limit personal information access to those employees, agents, contractors, and other third parties that have a legitimate business need for such access.
Except as otherwise permitted or required by applicable law or regulation, we will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. Under some circumstances we may anonymize your personal information so that it can no longer be associated with you. We reserve the right to use such anonymous and de-identified data for any legitimate business purpose without further notice to you or your consent.
If you are offered and accept employment with Huawei Canada, the personal information we collect during the application and recruitment process will become part of your employment record, and we may use it in connection with your employment consistent with our employee personal information policies. If you do not become an employee, or, once you are no longer an employee of Huawei Canada, we will retain and securely destroy your personal information in accordance with our document retention policy and applicable laws and regulations.
Rights of Access, Correction, Erasure, and Objection
It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal information changes during the recruitment process. By law you have the right to request access to and to correct the personal information that we hold about you, or withdraw your consent to the use of your personal information under certain circumstances. If you want to review, verify, correct, or withdraw consent to the use of your personal information, please contact us at the Data Management Request Portal below.
We may request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and your right to access, and to provide you with the personal information that we hold about you or make your requested changes. Applicable law may allow or require us to refuse to provide you with access to some or all of the personal information that we hold about you, or we may have destroyed, erased, or made your personal information anonymous in accordance with our record retention obligations and practices. If we cannot provide you with access to your personal information, we will inform you of the reasons why, subject to any legal or regulatory restrictions.
Right to Withdraw Consent
Where you have provided your consent to the collection, use, and transfer of your personal information, you have the legal right to withdraw your consent under certain circumstances. To withdraw your consent, please use the Data Management Request Portal below.
If you want to exercise your privacy rights, or have any privacy issues for which you need to lodge a privacy complaint with our PO, or want to consult our PO regarding general data protection, please visit our Data Management Request Portal:
Effective Date: April 19, 2021