A Record in the Industry: The PUE of Huawei Smart Modular Data Center Solution Reaches 1.111
[Xi’an, China, July 23, 2021] On July 23, 2021, Cloud Computing & Big Data Research Institute— a core department of the China Academy of Information and Communications Technology (CAICT) — and The Green Grid China (TGGC) conducted onsite test on Huawei Smart Modular Data Center, achieving a significant milestone. The annual average Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE) was recorded at 1.111@Beijing, the lowest level ever recorded in the industry. The PUE of 1.111 sets a new benchmark for the industry, with the previous record standing at 1.245, recorded in November 2018.
Photograph of the certificate（configuration code: DF10-R12-N1-N1-10）
The certification was conducted by Cloud Computing & Big Data Research Institute. The onsite test simulated outdoor environments in Enthalpy Different Laboratory with different temperature, ranging from –5°C to 35°C, in order to test PUE under different climates and loads. The PUE figures are calculated based on climate distribution coefficients of different regions, to arrive at the annual average PUE in any given region.
As an important indicator for measuring the energy efficiency of the data center, the PUE fully reflects the energy efficiency. A lower PUE value indicates higher energy efficiency of the data center. Currently, the industry average PUE is approximately 1.5. This means that IT equipment consumes 67% of a data center's total power supply, with the remaining 33% consumed by other systems, such as cooling. The annual average PUE of 1.111 represents a 25% reduction in total power consumption compared to a PUE of 1.5.
Zhang Song, Deputy Chairman of TGGC
“China has become the world's second-largest market for data centers and the fastest-growing market in the world. High power consumption will be an important factor restricting the development of data centers. To guide the development of the data center industry towards green and energy-saving, TGGC and CAICT organized industry experts to draft and update the PUE Test Specifications for Smart Modular DC. The new PUE test record of Huawei Smart Modular Data Center is of great significance to promote the green and energy-saving development of the data center industry and reduce carbon emissions”, explained Zhang Song, Deputy Chairman of TGGC.
Chen Dongfeng, General Manager of Huawei Smart Modular Data Center
Chen Dongfeng, General Manager of Huawei Smart Modular Data Center, said: “Huawei Smart Modular Data Center has led the market for seven consecutive years. High-intensity investment in new technologies is the key to Huawei's leadership position. In the new-generation Smart Modular DC solution, Huawei introduces free cooling technology, which can fully utilize natural cooling sources in cold environments and reduce power consumption of the cooling system. In addition, Huawei iCooling AI self optimization can automatically adjusts the cooling system to provide more energy-saving data center solutions.”
Data center energy saving and emission reduction is not only an industry trend, but also a social responsibility of enterprises. As we further advance our goal of carbon neutrality, Huawei will continue to innovate and use the latest technologies to promote the development of the data center industry in a green, secure, and sustainable direction, and actively contribute to the goal of carbon neutrality.