Sustainability Management System
To work towards our strategic sustainability goals, we have, based on international standards and guidelines such as ISO 26000/SA 8000, determined the scope of our sustainability management system and we have created the system using the PDCA (Plan, Do, Check, Act) cycle. This process took into account factors in Huawei's internal and external environment, local laws and regulations, and the requirements of stakeholders like governments, customers, and employees.
Framework of Huawei's Sustainability Management System
We have created a Corporate Sustainable Development (CSD) Committee for the Huawei Group, which is responsible for helping Huawei's business units set and work toward sustainability goals in accordance with our four sustainability strategies. The Committee consists of more than 10 senior executives from various departments, including human resources (HR), manufacturing, administration, procurement, and research and development (R&D). The CSD Committee is chaired by Tao Jingwen, a board member and President of the Quality, Business Process & IT Management Department.
Functions of the CSD Committee:
- Develops corporate-level sustainability strategies, guidelines, objectives, and policies; sets the course; and monitors their implementation.
- Coordinates the creation, implementation, and continuous improvement of the sustainability management system; decides on sustainability related matters; and ensures that Huawei's sustainability management complies with relevant laws and regulations, international standards, and customer requirements.
- Facilitates sustainability-related communication with key stakeholders such as customers, regulators, and industry organizations.
- Drives the resolution of sustainability issues across domains or processes and coordinates sustainability operations from end to end.
- Provides guidance on the development, operation, and improvement of our environment, occupational health and safety (EHS) management system, and handles major EHS issues.
The Committee meets quarterly and may convene special meetings as necessary to discuss and take decisions on sustainability issues. The CSD Committee has established a working group responsible for coordinating and completing everyday sustainability work.
Sustainability Risks and Opportunities
To systematically manage sustainability risks, Huawei has created a guide based on the Risk, Governance, and Control (RGC) methodology. The guide covers risk identification, risk assessment, target setting, risk control, risk monitoring, and risk governance. It helps Huawei business departments improve their sustainability risk management organization and operations to keep risk within an acceptable level.
Sustainability risk management is not just about identifying risks; it also identifies potential opportunities. This is an important input to our annual sustainability goal setting and helps improve our sustainability performance.
Examples of sustainability risks and opportunities