Huawei Canada announces 2018 seeds for the future program to include paid summer work-term
February 26, Toronto, Ont. - Huawei Canada, one of the Canada’s leading companies in ICT research & development, today announced that applications for the 2018 Seeds for the Future program are now being accepted.
Over the past three years, Huawei’s flagship “Seeds” program has provided the opportunity for 57 third-year Engineering students from across Canada the opportunity to visit China, and participate in a work-study program at Huawei’s headquarter campus in Shenzhen, China. Students also visit Beijing, participate in language and culture courses, and hike the Great Wall.
For the fourth edition of the Canadian program, Huawei Canada is introducing some exciting changes.
Most notably, the Seeds for the Future program will be expanded to include a 14-week paid Summer work-term, where in addition to travelling to China for 17 days in late May, students will have the opportunity to work directly with Huawei’s Canadian research team, while working out of Huawei’s research facilities in Ottawa, Toronto and Waterloo, as well as Huawei’s research partnership programs in Vancouver and Montreal.
Huawei Canada will be selecting ten (10) third-year engineering students from across Canada for the program, including students from a number of universities where Huawei has existing Research Partnership Agreements, such as the University of Toronto, the University of Waterloo, and the University of British Columbia.
“Over the past three years, the Seeds for the Future program has been a tremendous way for us to introduce Huawei, and the global ICT industry, to Canadian engineering students,” says Christian Chua, President, Huawei Canada Research Centre. “At the same time, as we continue to build our Canadian research operations, we are focused on attracting Canadian engineering students to join Huawei’s Canadian research team.”
Huawei Canada’s Seeds for the Future program, introduced in 2015, reflects Huawei’s broader commitment to research partnerships with Canadian universities. In 2018, Huawei will invest over $10m directly in research programs at Canadian schools facilitating research & development projects related to 5G and other advanced communications technologies. Huawei is now the 25th largest investor in R&D in Canada, in part because of the strong research network that exists amongst Canada’s research institutions.
“We are looking forward to welcoming the Seeds for the Future Class of 2018 to Huawei,” says Chua. “It’s exciting for us to see the passion and ideas these young engineering students have for the future, and for the power of ICT.”
China Trip and Work-Term Details:
- Huawei plans to select one (1) student each from the engineering programs at the following universities, where Huawei has established research partnership programs: o École Polytechnique
- In addition, Huawei plans to select five (5) “at-large” candidates. These students are eligible to apply from any accredited Engineering program in Canada;
- Students will be paid on the basis of a 40 hour work week, at a minimum rate of $25 per hour;
- All costs related to travel and accommodations in China, and required work travel within Canada, will be covered by Huawei Canada;
- Successful applicants will not be reimbursed for accommodation costs for in-Canada residency;
o Carleton University
o University of Toronto
o University of Waterloo
o University of British Columbia
- Students must demonstrate excellent academic acumen;
- Students must be a Canadian citizen, or have permanent residency status in Canada. Due to employment requirements, students studying in Canada on Student Visas are not eligible;
- Students must be eligible to travel to China and hold a Canadian passport, valid until December 31, 2018;
- Students must be able to complete their work-term placement in Ottawa, Toronto, Waterloo, Vancouver or Montreal based on relevant research interests;
How to Apply:
- Only online applications will be considered. Please visit: http://chj.tbe.taleo.net/chj04/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=HUAWEICA&cws=1&rid=1030
- The application process will be open from February 26 until March 18, 2018;
- As part of the application process, applicants must submit a current CV, as well as a 500 word essay documenting their interest in the opportunity;
- A letter of reference from a professor or representative of the respective Faculty of Engineering, is not formally required, but will also be given consideration in the applicant review process;
- Following a review of applications, candidates will be notified by phone or email before the end of March. Work terms would commence in May at a mutually agreed date.
- Any additional question can be sent to email@example.com