[London, UK, June 16, 2017] China Mobile Guangdong branch’s unified data center cloud management platform, which was developed together with Huawei, has won the Informa ‘Cloud Platform Innovation of the Year’ award at the TechXLR8 summit.
Mr. You Shungang (right), Senior Solution Architect, IT Consulting and System Integration Service of Huawei collected the award
China Mobile’s Guangdong branch faced challenges with its existing operations which included MSS (management support system), BSS (business support system), and OSS (operations support system) domains with five data centers, four categories of 18 heterogeneous virtual resource pools, three sets of cloud management platforms, and 600 plus IT applications.
These systems were isolated which meant IT resources could not be shared and there was an inability to unify heterogeneous resources, at the same time 80% of resources were provisioned manually. In addition the systems were becoming inefficient and causing operations and maintenance issues.
China Mobile’s Guangdong branch worked with Huawei to build a unified cloud platform to centralize, monitor, manage, and schedule its subsidiaries’ resources. This helped the operator to improve utilization, and reduce operation and maintenance costs to better support business development.
As the integrator of the project, Huawei planned and designed a unified cloud management platform to help meet China Mobile Guangdong’s customer requirements. The platform originates from Huawei’s internal IT experience which includes managing more than 170 heterogeneous resource pools globally and over 700,000 virtual machines that can be used for mixed IT, multi-clouds and multi-data centers scenarios. In this project, Huawei’s platform delivers the following:
- Unified management: Sharing the resources of the core MSS, BSS, and OSS domains across five data centers helped to achieve real-time analysis of internal management of billing and significantly reduced software license fees.
- Agility: The solution enables users to apply cloud services through a unified portal based on their own needs, and use the drag-and-drop facility to automatically orchestrate the software/scripting, which reduces the service application development time from days to minutes.
- Scalability: The platform is based on micro service architecture to quickly support cloud businesses online. Its open API can support smooth integration with IT service management and IT operation systems.
The success of the China Mobile Guangdong branch cloud management platform project was driven by a combination of business and IT expertise which enabled unified management of mixed IT, multi-clouds, and multi-data center resources for the operator. This allowed for industry recognition resulting in Huawei’s unified cloud management platform enabling the future:
- Platform support for converged management of MSS, BSS, and OSS domains resources
- A platform managing IT private cloud, and public cloud resources for enterprises IT transformation
- An expandable platform that can offer rich cloud services, enabling partners solutions to be cloudified for B2B scenarios
Huawei's data center cloud management platform integration solution is positioned to enhance the core competitiveness of customer data centers. It will allow operators to create a minimalist, on demand approach and drive a smooth evolution to new IT structures, helping them to achieve ICT transformation success.
Huawei has worked in this area of Data Center Integration Service for 15 years and has rich service experience delivering R&D, operations and maintenance. Huawei has accumulated huge practice experience and made its presence felt, in the innovation phase in 2009, and scaled commercial use in 2014. As of the end of December 2016, Huawei has delivered 830 data centers, with an area of up to 1.4 million square meters including 420 loud data centers.